Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Michael Medved Part 3

         Medved’s paper was overall extremely eye opening and was written in a way that made you think about what he was claiming about Hollywood.  I found his argument to be strong, sound and valid, but also interesting.  He used examples and statistics that helped to confirm his argument.  I hadn’t really thought too much about the affect that the media really had on society until I read his paper.  I definitely agree with his disagreement with the way that Hollywood is lying to us as media consumers.   More importantly however, I support his conclusion that the only way to contradict a lie is with a truth.  


          He talked about how we need to remember that messages in the media matter, that we can’t view and accept the world’s portrayal through a TV screen, and that we might not be able to “turn off” the media, but we can turn it down.  The only weakness that I found in his argument was the fact that he never mentioned a positive side.  Although I agree with him that Hollywood is lying to the world, I believe that some of the media can affect us in positive and even life changing ways.  We live in a world where we are so concerned with what goes into our bodies, then why wouldn’t we be concerned with what goes into our minds?   

word count: 233


No comments:

Post a Comment